Less, but better.
Michael Garvey (Zappos.com)
Lightning talk - in English
Crafting simplicity is your best design strategy in an environment full of different screens and devices. How do you set yourself up for success when apps and websites must be accessible on a watch, phone, tablet, PC and in the living room? Dieter Rams' 10 Principles of Great Design are enormously helpful, and the following 5 are especially applicable to today's UX & UI design challenges:
- Good Design is Innovative (But not more innovative than the technology itself.)
- Good Design is Unobtrusive (It should be personalized, and seamlessly integrate into natural life.)
- Good Design is Honest (It does exactly what it promises or is expected to do.)
- Good Design is Long Lasting (Built to last, and references traditional paradigms.)
- Good Design is As Little Design as Possible (Purity, simplicity. Omit everything superfluous so that the essential is shown to best possible advantage.)
Craft design that is less, but better, and you'll be set for success!